Friday 24 February 2012

Appropriation

Appropriation is a term used in the art world that describes the taking of parts of other peoples work and including it in your own. this raises the argument of plagiarism and of how much can you take before it is stealing and is no longer your own work but a mangled piece of other peoples work. i think that appropriation is ok to an extent. i do a lot of digital painting and i will use stock images as reference for my painting, i always get the stock holders permission and i make the image my own, i don't actually add their photo to my work, in my eyes that is the same as me going out with a pencil and pad and drawing a building, surely the architect could say ive appropriated his work in my piece of art.

ill just leave it with a quote by steve jobs ' good artists borrow. great artists steal'

No comments:

Post a Comment